There are many things people don't know about me. There's a reason I don't write about those things on this blog: I'm not interested in putting my entire life on the web, actually. That said, I think I can offer these items:
1. When I was little - probably around 6 - I was obsessed with the Walt Disney cartoon version of Robin Hood. I related to Robin Hood much more than to Maid Marian or any other female characters. In fact I can recall very few female role models from my childhood. Star Trek Voyager's Captain Janeway came too late.
2. Art class was always my favorite thing in school. I used to be pretty good at drawing, and especially loved doing faces. I stopped drawing sometime in high school. Maybe some day.. when I actually have free time...
3. When I was 10 years old I was obsessed with the Lord of the Rings. I returned to the books in 2003, to get my head away from that damn war.
4. I was concertmaster in Arizona's all-state high school orchestra, attended Tanglewood's high school program for three summers, and considered going pro on the violin as an orchestral player, but decided against it because having to practice 4-5 hours a day makes it hard to do a lot of other things in life. Every time I go to the symphony I feel a little wistful about the other path I might have taken.
5. In spite of what you might think given my career so far, I am naturally a pretty shy person.