An anonymous source has sent me a scan of this "notification" from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology requiring that PC manufacturers install the Green Dam Youth Escort filtering software in all PC's manufactured in China or imported into China. The PDF of the original Chinese document can be downloaded here (77.9k).
While the Wall Street Journal reports that companies could either install the software or just include it in an accompanying disk, my read of the document indicates that they are required to install the software, plus include a CD or copy on a partition in case of data loss so that it can be reinstalled. Here is my own English summary of the document's core stipulations. [NOTE: NOT VERBATIM TRANSLATION.] If I've gotten anything wrong please put corrections in the comments section of this post.
- Domestic PC manufacturers are required to pre-install the latest version of "Green Dam Youth Escort" and imported PC's sold in China must also have the latest version of the software pre-installed.
- "Green Dam Youth Escort" should be included on a partition in the PC's hard drive or in an accompanying CD so that it can be re-installed when the computer's drive needs to be restored.
- The providers of "Green Dam Youth Escort" should enthusiastically work to support this work of installing their software.
- Installation work should be completed by the end of June and as of July 1st PC's should be sold with the software pre-installed.
- In 2009 PC manufacturers and the providers of "Green Dam Youth Escort" should provide monthly reports to MIIT about sales figures, the number of copies of the software installed, and comments on this work. From 2010 they should provide annual reports by the end of February.